By: Doug Van Gundy
Cockroaches are one of the most common insect pests, in both residential and commercial accounts. In addition to transmitting bacteria through the building and triggering allergies in humans, recent reports have linked cockroaches to the development of asthma in children.
As a pest management professional, here are some tips you can share that can help keep cockroaches out of residential and commercial accounts:
- Keep a tight lid on trash cans, and take the garbage out every day.
- Cockroaches are most commonly found in the kitchen and/or cafeteria of schools and office buildings. Wipe down counters, tables and stovetops after preparing or serving any food. Throw away fruit before spoiling and prevent dishes from piling up.
- Eliminate any sources of moisture where possible by insulating pipes and fixing leaks around sinks and toilets.
- Caulk or weather-seal door and window frames to limit entry from the outside.
- Cardboard boxes provide a common hiding place for the pest. Remove boxes from the building shortly after any deliveries.