The St. Paul, Minn., City Council changed the name of a stretch of Washington Street to Ecolab Place following the purchase of Travelers Tower by Ecolab Inc., parent company of Ecolab Pest Elimination.
The section of street is west of Market Street and south of St. Peter Street. The St. Paul Heritage Preservation Commission supported the name change as the stretch of road was not part of the street’s original design, and therefore the name change does not affect the historical value of the street.
Ecolab Inc. plans to relocate to Travelers Tower, which the company purchased for $47 million. It will move from Wabasha Street next year.
Ecolab provides water, hygiene and energy technologies and services worldwide. It was founded in St. Paul in 1923 as The Economics Laboratory and renamed Ecolab Inc. in 1986. For more than 30 years, Ecolab Pest Elimination has handled pest management for companies in the institutional and commercial markets.