[The following post was submitted to PMP by guest writer, Andrea Hancock of P.E.S.T. International.]
Summer was busy for all of us, but we ended strong with a day of education and service.P.E.S.T. Relief International and CPCO of Georgia partnered together in the REST Initiativeto bring comfort and relief to two women’s recovery centers the last weekend in August.The REST Initiative is all about making shelters and group homes a more sanitary and comfortable place to sleep so that those in need can continue to receive help and care in a safe environment. Our goal through REST is to support organizations who are the “boots on the ground” in what they do best; helping others through their programs or providing care for a child.
Our project began on Friday with the installation of 27 mattress encasements and ScenSci Volcano Bed Bug Detectors donated by Mattress Safe® and Bed Bug Central respectfully. CPCO enlisted their board of directors along with other volunteers to diligently encase the mattresses and place the detectors amidst the home. On Saturday, P.E.S.T. Relief International partnered with CPCO and Mattress Safe, Inc. to combine education and service together in one day. The morning kicked off at 9:00 a.m. with a 2 hour HPC Bed Bug Training followed by a workday at Abba House to further the efforts of the REST Initiative.
The best part is that a team of 37 P.E.S.T. Relief Responders consisting of pest control operators and distributors from Georgia, North Carolina, and California joined their efforts together to make this day a total success. Exclusion repair, electrical repair, termite treatments, bed bug prevention measures, lawn care maintenance, and painting services were provided to this Christian recovery center for women who are breaking free from addiction. Many of the living areas that were old and tattered were transformed into a safe and beautiful environment for the residents. Now this is what I call EMPATHY IN ACTION!
I want to give special thanks to each and every one who participated to make this event a huge success:
- Bobby Jacobs – D&G Exterminating
- Maria and Wayne Collins – CPCO of GA
- Marty and Cindy Jones – Prestige Pest Control
- Ronnie Smith – The Ratman, Inc.
- Kim Noel and Dixon Lee – Forshaw Industries
- Sylvia Kenmuir – Target Specialty Products
- Glenda Lehmberg – CPCO of GA
- Julie Fogg – Univar
- David, Andrew and Jeff Hancock – P.E.S.T. Relief International
- Karen and Randy Dial – P.E.S.T. Relief International
- Becky Weatherford – Mattress Safe, Inc.
- Paul Bello – PJB Pest Management
- Kumar Mehta – Himalaya Pest Control
- Joe Maxwell – Your Choice Wildlife and Pest Control
- John and Page Kauffman – FPM Services
- Shelly Moats – Residex
- Wayne Roden – Brady Pest Control
- Mike Brady – Brady Pest Control
- Jesse Draughon – Brady Pest Control
- John Cowles – Brady Pest Control
- Carol Berry – Brady Pest Control
- Patty Powell – Residex
- Geoff Cornwell and Nick Greenwood – Allison-Smith Company
- Gail Deluca – Faith Life Lutheran Church
- Stacy Fry – P.E.S.T. Relief International
- Bud, Megan and Marion Brown – Residex
Thank you also to Dianne Cornwell, Julie Fogg, Kim Noel, Sylvia Kenmuir, Karen Dial, Jorge Vallejo, Glenda Lehmberg, Gail Deluca, Home Depot, Gregory’s Paint of Johns Creek, David Cowart Tree Service, Allison Smith Company, Mattress Safe, Inc., and The Ratman Inc. for their contributions.