It has been almost two years since we have all seen each other at the National Pest Management Association’s (NPMA) PestWorld event, and there is understandably a lot of excitement around the 2021 edition, taking place in Las Vegas, Nev., Nov. 2-5. It will be an excellent opportunity to reconnect in person with friends, colleagues and suppliers.
Amid all the excitement, however, it is important to achieve your goals while you’re there. Creating (and following) a plan will help you maximize your time and results at PestWorld. Here are five tips to consider:
- Let your contacts know that you will be attending. There are a number of channels available to do this, including email for a more one-to-one contact, or social media for a broader reach. If you use social media, be sure to use hashtags and tags such as #PestWorld and @NationalPestMgmt. You can also tag a specific colleague or company — such as @BayerPestPro, for example!
- If you really want to see someone, schedule a meeting. It is easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of a trade show. Confirming a date, time and location in advance can be helpful. For example, if you want to meet with an exhibitor, suggest to meet at their exhibit at a specific day and time.
- Outline the topics you wish to discuss with each contact. Consider not only asking questions, but also providing feedback. For example, at Bayer we use trade shows not only to highlight innovations, but to listen to customers. Share feedback on products, your business, and how Bayer can collaborate with you to help you achieve greater success. Your input is taken seriously, and incorporated into our plans and projects.
- Make a daily schedule to help stay on track. Review the online PestWorld schedule to ensure you’re able to attend special events such as the Opening Ceremony, educational workshops and more. Pay attention to the exhibitor floor map so you can break it down by “zones,” so you can maximize your time on the show floor and visit exhibitors that are near one another each day.
- Bring business cards and a notebook. Digital may rule the day, as your badge may be scanned at every exhibit or educational session you attend. Even so, a few paper items will still make a difference. Business cards are the perfect way to share your information with key contacts, and a pen and notebook will help you capture a few notes and follow-ups from each encounter. Every time you meet someone, whether for a brief meeting or a longer conversation, taking notes during or immediately after will help you remember details and action items.
After the show can be more important than what takes place during the show. Contact those people where you have agreed to follow up, making sure the good conversations you have at the show continue. Timing on this can vary, but reaching out within a week of the show ending is best. In that same vein, people may follow up with you, so be sure to engage with them.
In addition, list out what you felt worked and did not work for you at the show. Document it, and keep it for the next PestWorld or other event. This will help you remember for next time.
On behalf of Bayer, we hope you will gain satisfaction, education and enjoyment out of PestWorld 2021, and look forward to seeing you there!