Five steps for controlling pantry pests:
1. Inspect and remove infested food products, including old grain, dust, flour and other food particles in and around storage cabinets.
2. Clean and vacuum food storage areas to ensure no insects, eggs or pupae remain.
3. Treat storage areas with a residual insecticide labeled for this use. Aerosols are particularly good for crack-and-crevice application in cabinets. Treat all areas, including wall and cabinet voids, where insects might be hiding. Insecticide should not be left on food preparation surfaces after treatment.
4. Vacuum away dead insects 24 hours after application.
5. Prevent reinfestation by repackaging materials in properly sealed containers.
Dr. Dina Richman is Insecticide Product Development Manager for FMC Professional Products.