There are many tools pest management professionals (PMPs) can use to detect termites:
- Moisture meters — A moisture level of 20 percent or more is a strong indicator of termites.
- Methane detectors — Inserting a probe into the area will sound an alarm if the level indicates a termite infestation.
- Infrared cameras — Detect temperature differences between termites and the surrounding environment.
- Acoustic detectors — Monitor termites’ chewing signals; small wireless options can alert a termite presence.
- Optical borescope — Drilling a hole into the wall to insert the borescope can show how vast the termite damage is without removing an entire wall.
— Dr. Nicky Gallagher, Technical Services Manager, Syngenta Professional Pest Management