Over the past 18 months or so, the number of questions about ticks and tick-borne illnesses has skyrocketed. Many of these questions are from increased media coverage, but mild winters and wet springs in recent years have provided ticks with the perfect playground.
Why are ticks so difficult to control? The short answer is host movement. Ticks often are carried into an area by hosts such as mice, deer or other mammals, including people. When a customer has a tick infestation, consider the following:
- Get a positive identification to ensure the best control methods.
- Use a quick-knockdown product for fast relief.
- Remember, ticks can climb up: Don’t focus treatments only on the ground.
- Recommend clean-up and removal of debris and leaf litter.
- Be sure any pets or domestic animals are treated for ticks, too.
Ticks are a different and difficult pest to treat. Remember to start with a thorough inspection, and don’t be afraid to try something new and/or different.