Follow these six suggested cockroach baiting tips:
- Use a fast-acting bait that kills cockroaches by ingestion and/or contact, and provides effective residual.
- A bait with exponential killing power can be beneficial, where one dead cockroach will kill many others.
- Apply bait within 1 to 2 feet of harborages, whatever the label allows.
- Multiple placements of bait can be more effective, because cockroaches detect odor from short distances. Again, follow label instructions.
- Emphasize corners when applying baits. Cockroaches like to make contact when they move around.
- Rotate product regularly to avoid resistance. Consider changes to both the active ingredient and the bait matrix when implementing your strategy.
About the Author
ABBAR is a field development scientist for Bayer Pest Management & Public Health.