Consider the following important steps when controlling rodents:
- Discover what they are feeding on. Use that as a lure for traps. If you are unsuccessful, try the opposite — such as using sugar instead of protein, for example.
- Understand how to distinguish the droppings of common rodents in your region. At least know how to tell apart droppings from house mice, roof rats and Norway rats.
- Clean and reuse traps. Rodents will investigate pheromones and odors.
- For long-term use of traps, rub bacon rind on metal parts. This helps protect them from rusting.
- Grease traps with lard rather than machine oils. The latter can act as rodent repellents.