Tips to ensure successful ant bait use


January 30, 2023

Anna Berry

Anna Berry, technical director at B&G

Ant gel baits have become a common tool in the pest management professional’s arsenal, and for good reason: They’re low-risk insecticides, easy to use, and effective. To ensure successful ant bait use, consider these tips:

  • Identify the species. Knowing which species you’re targeting is essential when choosing a control strategy. If baits are the chosen strategy, identification will help you pinpoint where to place the bait. This may vary depending on the behavior and preferences of the ant species.
  • Baits do not kill immediately. With some species, only 15 percent of the population may be seen in a building. This leaves the remaining 85 percent unseen at the nesting location or traveling to and from the nest. It will take time and persistence to get the toxin from where the bait was placed to the nest.
  • Baits are just one tool and often can be used with other methods — but be careful how. The goal is to allow the ants to transport and deliver the toxin back to the home nest. Applying a residual insecticide in the ants’ travel path stops this process and can kill them before the bait is delivered to the nest for complete control.
  • Follow the bait labels. When a label specifies small multiple placements in a crack or crevice, that’s where it is most effective and legally only where it should be used. Bait misuse is common because it’s an “easy” tool to use. But as with all pesticides, it’s only effective when it is used as instructed on the label.


About the Author

Avatar photo

BERRY is a technical director at B&G Equipment. Previously, she worked as training manager for McCloud Pest Management Solutions, South Elgin, Ill. She is a Board Certified Entomologist, ServSafe certified and instructor and proctor for the National Restaurant Association and is certified in HACCP. She holds a bachelor’s degree in biology from the University of Oregon and a master’s degree in grain science from Kansas State University.

Leave A Comment

Comments are closed.