Fleas and ticks are nuisance pests for pets and people, and can pose health risks. To prevent or eliminate flea and tick infestations, always use integrated pest management (IPM) strategies. For example:
- Identify the pest, so you know which tick or flea species is causing the problem. This will help determine the control strategy.
- Locate the source. It’s common for these areas to be where pets or other animals rest. This helps you focus on the proper cleaning and treatment approaches.
- Focus on sanitation. Indoor vacuuming is critical. Many pupal stage fleas will molt to adults with vacuuming, which helps with flea removal and more importantly, allows newly emerged adults to be exposed to the treatment. Remember to promptly seal and dispose of the vacuum bag, and do not leave it at the customer account.
- Discuss with your customers. Recommend to flea and tick customers to use, or at least consider on-animal treatment for their pets.
- Use properly labeled products as needed. Choose products with active ingredients (AIs) that provide quick knockdown, good residual and IGR activity. These can provide fast control, with long-term protection.