Anyone in the service or retail business knows that working with the public can be physically and emotionally draining sometimes. (All right, a lot of times.)
- “You treated last week and I just saw an ant on the counter!”
- “Are you sure you can’t work me in today?” (It’s 4 p.m.)
- “Can you do it any cheaper? That seems kinda high!”
It’s very easy to get bogged down in the negative talk and vibe. Whether you work in the office or in the field, it can wear on your attitude. To combat this, it’s important to take time — even just a few minutes a day — to step back and remind yourself of all the great customers you have and why you enjoy helping them.
We have built a wall of thank-you cards, notes, photos, newspaper clippings, Facebook posts and anything else positive. I glance at our DYN-O-MITE Wall (see photo) at least once a week. Other mojo boosters include:
- Read your own company’s online reviews … the 5-star ones.
- Give an online review to one of your customers … a 5-star one.
- Call one of your pest control buddies … not everyone is a competitor.
- Call one of your best customers.
To borrow a quote from Leadership Consultant Jon Gordon: “We don’t get burned out because of what we do. We get burned out because we forget why we do it.”