Q: How important is design to my website?
Consider this: The purpose of a magazine’s cover is to get the magazine opened. If your design doesn’t compel people to engage, what’s the point? Invest in design with a professional. Don’t do it yourself. Website design affects how quickly visitors can find what they are looking for. A good design will be easy to understand and navigate, helping potential customers find what they need and taking you one step closer to making a sale or making a connection.
Q: How often should I update my website?
As often as possible. When I refer to updating a website, I’m talking about the text or pictures, not the design. Adding blog posts shows your web visitors that you keep it up to date and provides new content for search engines to look over. Determine a realistic and sustainable plan to add/update new content regularly.
Q: How do I know when it’s time to change SEO companies?
- Your website is not showing up on the first page of a Google search of your selected keyword terms.
- You are not getting a 2:1 return on investment, or ROI.
- Your SEO company is not taking local and mobile searches into account.
- Your SEO company is not focusing on the performance of key pages and trying to improve traffic in a way that directly affects sales and leads.
- Your SEO company is not closely monitoring and reporting your bounce rate. If your bounce rate is high, your lead conversion rate will be low.
- Your SEO company is not providing regular progress reports and quarterly website audits.
- Your SEO company is not communicating with you regularly (once a week is preferred).
You can reach Harvey F. Goldglantz, president of Pest Control Marketing Co. and author of Marketing Matters, at email@example.com. Buy Marketing Matters by Harvey F. Goldglantz from the PMP bookstore.