For 87 years, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) has gathered pest management professionals from across the globe for its annual PestWorld convention. This year’s convention will look a bit different because of restrictions on in-person gatherings due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Virtual platforms make attending events easier, however, and PestWorld 2020 is no exception. The NPMA will host a virtual version of PestWorld Oct. 13-15.
As with an in-person event, you will get as much out of a virtual event as you put into it. These tips will help you make the most of your virtual experience.
- Treat a virtual conference as seriously as you would an in-person conference.
- Dress as you would for an in-person event, at least from the waist up.
- Eliminate distractions at your computer.
- Log in early to ensure your equipment works.
- Have a backup plan in case your connection freezes.
- Create a schedule, and stick to it.
- Take advantage of the virtual platform’s interactive features.
- Check out the event host’s social media platforms for real-time news and highlights.
- Visit booths with confidence that company reps will follow up, thanks to virtual platforms’ tracking tools.
- Chat with colleagues in real-time to discuss important takeaways about what you are learning.
- Use social media posts to let your colleagues know you plan to attend.
- Register your info and photo on the event’s mobile app or attendee guide.
- Create a list of networking goals, such as the number of people you want to meet each day.
- Create social media posts throughout the event, using the event’s hashtags.
- Engage with other attendees by leaving on your video and chat functions.
- Participate in question-and-answer sessions during educational sessions.
- Join in the fun during the event’s happy hours, trivia contests and games.
- Socialize at the event’s virtual hangouts.
- Follow up with attendees you meet by emailing a thank-you or connecting on LinkedIn.